Phone: 520-207-5715   Find the Tucson Auto Museum Get Directions

1958 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse F93 Pillarless Coupe

1958 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse F93 Pillarless Coupe


DKW was one of four companies that had come together in 1932 to form the Auto Union based in Zwickau. The company was effectively refounded in West Germany in 1949, following the loss to the Soviets of its Zwickau assets.Three of the four businesses that had constituted Auto Union before the war seemed unlikely ever to reappear on either side of the Iron Curtain, but starting in 1949 the DKW name was used for the F89 assembled by Auto Union in the west: this was the model replaced by the 3=6.

This 1958 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse F93 Pillarless Coupe is powered by an 896cc two-stroke inline-three and was reportedly restored by a prior owner in Texas. Work included an engine rebuild and a repaint in red with a white roof. Within the last three years the previous owner, located in Michigan, reupholstered the interior, serviced the brakes, and fitted new tires. This DKW is being offered in Washington state by the selling dealer with a Michigan title.

When the car was repainted the previous owner used a red shared with BMWs from 2011-2013. The roof and all five wheels are finished in gloss white. Unlike the two door saloon, the pillarless hardtop features rear hinged doors, with small door handles integrated with the beltline trim. The pillarless coupe also incorporates additional trunk trim not used on the 2-door saloon. Though originally named for steam cars, the DKW acronym was modified in marketing to mean “Das Kleine Wunder” and “Das Knaben Wunsch,” which translate to “the little wonder” and “the boy’s dream” respectively.

Trim and badging appears complete, and the enameled DKW-Auto Union hood badge shows a bright finish. The front bumper on this 3=6 does not have a provision for a starting handle. DKW branded hubcaps are fitted, and the previous owner recently replaced the tires.

The interior was retrimmed in red and white vinyl within the last three years, with matching materials on the seating surfaces and interior panels. Some small cracks are apparent on the two-spoke Auto Union steering wheel, and pitting and paint defects are visible on the painted metal dash. 59k miles are shown, though the true total is unknown.

Power comes from an 896cc two-stroke inline three fitted to a 4-speed manual transaxle with freewheel device. The engine has just seven moving parts. The car’s name is derived from the 2-stroke triple’s power output, which DKW stated was equivalent to a six-cylinder four-stroke of equal displacement. The previous owner reportedly had the engine rebuilt. Stock ignition components are present, with individual coils for each cylinder.

Other Cars You Might Like to View